The Towing Tank was established in 1987.The towing carriage, an important element of the tank, is designed to meet with the development of high-speed fishing vessels. The recent research activities include the development of a new types of fishing vessels, seaworthiness and hull form improvement of fishing vessels, and related hydrodynamics research ,
( Main Characteristics )
- The Main Carriage and the Y-Carriage with the Turn-table are installed in the tank. The Y-Carriage can be towed through connection with the Main Carriage.
- The maximum towing speed of the Main Carriage is 5.0 m/sec. Thus model experiment can be carried out at Froude Number 1.6, when the model is 1.0m in length.
- The Tank can be controlled by only one person by utilizing a computer and an
optical beacon system.
( Main Tasks )
This Tank enabled us to have the following research projects;
- Development of design methods for optimum fishing vessels.
- Development of a new types of fishing vessels, especially high-speed fishing
vessels, with high performance as well as with riding comfort.
- Establishment of safety criteria to prevent high-speed fishing vessels from
- Development of a new types of fishing gear.
Technical Data of Main Equipment
- Description of Basin:
- tank 137m in length, 6.0m in width, water depth 3.0m,
trimming tank fitted, 8m in length, 1.2m in width ,water depth 1.0m,
model rigging is facilitated by a suspended type hoist.
- Description of Carriage:
- Main Carriage, Y-Carriage with a Turn-table towed by the Main
Carriage, single manned ,DC motor driven ,digital controlled by computer.
- Type of Drive System and Total Power:
- Thyrister leonard system, X-Carriage(22KWx4), Y-Carriage(3.7KWx2),
- Maximum Carriage Speed:
- 5.0m/sec( only Main-Carriage)
3.0m/sec( with Y-Carriage:1.5m/sec and Turn-table:6.0rpm)
- Other Capability:
- wind blowers: maximum wind velocity 10m/sec, 2.2KWx2